Tuesday, April 20, 2010

For Jaclyn

*@*@*@*@ I found my recipe book!

So this is what I had for dinner last Tuesday:

Beef round eye (marinated)
Steamed Broccoli Rabe (drizzled with my previously talked about Hollandaise sauce)
Tater, carrots and red onion (baked)

Beeeeeeef marinade:
~1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup freshly juiced pineapple juice
1/2 cup water
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lemon squeezed, with a little bit o' pulp
1/2 a regular/largish red onion, sliced pretty thinly (not chopped)
2 shots of bourbon (I used Jim Beam, woof)
A generous squeeze of Sriracha
Salt & pepper to taste.
I let that hang out for a bit.

Meanwhile, I quartered some (5) yellow potatoes and cut up 2 carrots. I put some bacon grease and salt on a casserole dish, then put the taters and carrots around the edges, forming sort of a frame. After a little bit I took the meat out of the marinade and seared all the sides, then put it in the casserole dish and then poured about half of the marinade over the dish with all the onions and garlic. Then I preheated the oven to 450.

I let that sit in the oven (uncovered) for 20 minutes, then turned off the oven. NEVER OPEN THE OVEN - it lets the heat out. My beef was about 2.5 lbs. You're supposed to leave it in there 20 min for every pound. So I let it sit in the oven for 40 min longer.

Meanwhile I made a brown gravy!

Brown Gravy ingredients:
The rest of the marinade
1/4 c butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 c flour
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 c ketchup
1 tsp dijon mustard
a few splashes of red wine. I think I used a Cab Sav.
~quart of beef broth (that I had left over from St. Patrick's Day boiled beef brisket and cabbage, don't worry, it was frozen)

1. In a sauce pan melt butter over med-low heat. Add flour and stir for about a few minutes until golden brown and smells like pie crust. Add garlic, cook for about 30 seconds. Whisk in a cup of broth, then add in the rest of the ingredients, except S+P.
2. Bring to a simmer, whiskying, reduce heat to low, simmer about 20 min.
3. Season with S+P to your liking

As I was making the gravy I steamed some broccolini. I timed that so it would be done right when the meat was done. I took the casserole dish outta the oven and took the meat off of it and put in on a cutting board. PS, I made it sort of med-rare. Perfect.

I sliced the meat, scooped the potato/carrot/onion mix onto the plate, with brown gravy on top, then the broccolini with the rest of my left-over hollandaise sauce on top. It was totally delicious!!!! And it wasn't that expensive either.

No comments:

Post a Comment